Because when I need advice, I hit her up first!
I am in awe of this young woman’s beautiful, long luscious mane. I love her hair and God knows she made effort to get it there. Whenever I need motivation, I just look through her hair pictures and now she has a blog! I get to go there and check her updates without bothering her through Facebook messages hehe. Everyone, Tabitha Tongoi, hair guru!
Here are answers she gave me about her and her journey!
1. A little bit about you: Hi, My name is Tabitha Tongoi. I’m from Nairobi, Kenya. I am currently completing a BA (Hons.) in Political Science at Williams College. I am looking to pursue a DPhil in Education Policy upon graduation in June.
2. How long have you been natural? When it comes to all things beauty, hair is my first love. But it hasn’t always been. I stumbled upon the natural hair community when I had to move to the USA to pursue my studies. I had relied on local hairstylists all my life. Having to move to the US forced me to learn how to handle my personal haircare. I came across several blogs and YouTube channels – I was immediately hooked! I haven’t looked back since, it has been an insightful 3.5 years!
3. What’s your favorite protective hair style? My favorite protective style is two-strand twists. I like that they are low manipulation, and easy to maintain. Also, with two-strand twists I can easily moisturize the length of my hair. I have been able to retain most of my length by simply letting my hair do it’s own thing. I hardly wear my hair in an afro or in twist-outs because my hair is fragile and sensitive to the elements. With two-strand twists, I can keep my ends tucked in and in so doing prevent breakage.
4. What are your top 3 hair products? My top three hair products are all natural! The first is aloe-vera juice. Aloe Vera juice is an excellent moisturizer and it also prevents dandruff and fungal infections on the scalp that might cause hair loss. My second best product is olive oil. I use olive oil for EVERYTHING : hot oil treatments, oil rinses and locking in moisture after a wash. My third best product is Aztec Clay. Aztec clay is a deep cleanser that is great for removing build-up. I use it once a month, and my hair literally sings hymns!
5. Who is your hair inspiration? My hair inspiration is a YouTuber named Sera2544. She has tailbone length hair. She also has a very simple regimen in which she incorporates many natural products. I would love to get to that length someday!
6. If you had a piece of advice to give, what would it be? Patience is KEY! I set myself a time period of 4 years before I would “give up” on my natural hair care. I have consistently cared for my hair from the get-go, and I have seen the results. It takes time for our hair to show its natural glory, so be in it for the long haul!
Make sure to check out her blog and other social media here: